Here's some repeat advice I wrote just over a year ago on how one might wriggle out of a contract - especially if it was one that was unfairly imposed in the first place.
Costcutter retailer Sunil Joshi has had a series of energy bills - first from Npower, then from EDF where the bills were backdated because the suppliers couldn't seem to get their act together sufficiently to collect the agreed direct debit.
Sunil has paid off the £7,000 Npower bill and is now facing an estimated £9,000 EDF bill, which he suspects could wind up at £15K even though it's for roughly the same period of time that he had been supplied by Npower. Since then, too, his business has downsized and can ill afford such an increase. He only discovered the problem when he asked to transfer to British Gas. Of course, at this point EDF refused the transfer, got its paperwork in order and sent him the bill.
He called because he semi-remembered the piece I had written previously on a possible get-out of such contracts. I've looked it up and It goes like this: the Insolvency Aid Society suggests that you use a legal procedure called 'unilateral discharge' (also known as 'accord and satisfaction'). You make the company an offer, via a cheque, with the words "see letter for terms of offer" and nothing else.
The letter spells out that "the offered sum is in full satisfaction and discharge of all invoices in respect of energy used, including all past, present and future invoices". If the cheque is banked the offer has been accepted. The ploy assumes that the person in accounts stamping and banking will not pass on the letter to any other department.
Sunil is going to try this with a cheque for £5,000 for full and final settlement. Sounds fair to me.